Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First taste of Peru

Just arrived in Cusco this morning after 2 great (and very full) days in Lima. In Lima I got to meet with the head of marine conservation work for the Nature Conservancy (TNC) in Peru and learn about some exciting work they are planning. I also got to stay with the family of a peruvian friend in Seattle. Carlos´family received me incredibly well and served as my ¨tour guides¨in the city. We visited the National Musuem, the Plaza de Armas (where the Peruvian president´s palace is housed) and had some amazing ceviche.











Carlos, tu familia te extrana mucho!

This morning - really just after midnight - I went back to the Lima airport for my flight to Cusco. I met Jeff (another friend from Seattle) at the Lima airport and we flew into Cusco together. We arrived at 7:30 am and had to wait to check into our hostel. We walked around the city center, taking in all the new things, but also feeling some effects of the altitude. The main symptom of our ¨soroche¨(local name for altitude sickness) is mostly only a slight headache. Walking the narrow, cobble stoned streets of the town (sometimes uphill) feels like major exercise! We took a nice nap in the afternoon and then hit the town market.


Girl with alpaca.













 

Tea made with coca leaves (doesn´t taste like much more than hot water), but supposedly helps with ¨soroche¨.
















Our young guides explaining how the Incas built their stone walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment